For The Dialog
CORDOVA, Md. — Childhood friends Margaret Edmunds and Henrietta Callahan Wood stepped back 80 years Sunday as they walked through Old St. Joseph’s Mission Church.
They pointed to where their families used to sit every Sunday for Mass, and stopped at the altar rail to recall how they received their first Communion in 1936. Wood pointed to the donors’ names on many of the church’s stained glass windows, telling how she was related to many of them.
Bishop Malooly and Father Jim Nash, pastor of Ss. Peter and Paul in nearby Easton of which St. Joseph is a mission, arrived by horse-drawn carriage before Mass celebrating the 250th anniversary of Old St. Joseph Mission in Cordova, Md. (The Dialog/Gary Morton)
They were among the elders of more than 400 people who came to Old St. Joseph’s on July 12 to commemorate the 250th anniversary of its founding.
That they could reconnect with one another – Edmunds traveled from her home in Fort Collins, Colo., and Wood from nearby Caroline County – fit nicely with the one of the themes of the day as cited by Bishop Malooly in his homily. The bishop spoke of connections, of freedom, and of recommitment.
He connected the story of Amos in the first reading, St. Paul, who authored the second reading, and the Apostles in the Gospel reading whom Jesus sent in pairs with only the clothes on their backs to spread the word of God to Father Joseph Mosley, the Jesuit priest sent from a mission called Old Bohemia Plantation near Middletown, Del., to minister to Catholics on the Lower Eastern Shore. Father Mosely arrived here in March 1765 to establish a church on land he had purchased.
“Now it is our time to actually talk about our faith. … We need to tell people the Good News, much like Father Mosley did … of what God has given us,” Bishop Malooly said. Read more »