The following marriage preparation courses — Pre-Cana and Remarriage — will be offered by the Diocese of Wilmington’s Office for Marriage and Family Life this year.
New Castle County locations
St. Joseph on the Brandywine, Greenville
- Sundays, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
July 9 & 23
- Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
May 6, June 17
Immaculate Heart of Mary, Liftwood
- Wednesday nights, 6 to 10 p.m.
June 7 & 28
St. Bernadette, Harrington
- Monday nights, 7 to 10 p.m.
May 1 & 15
St. Francis de Sales, Salisbury, Md.
- Sunday afternoons 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.
All four classes (I-IV) need to be taken in any order:
- May 21, Sept. 17
- June 18, Oct. 18
III. July 16, Nov. 19
- Aug. 20, Dec. 17
Resurrection Parish, Wilmington
- June 5, 12, 19
There is a $125 registration fee for Pre-Cana and Remarriage courses. Classes fill up fast. Call the Office for Marriage and Family Life, (302) 295-0657 for more information.
- • •
Diocesan Guidelines for Marriage Preparation
The Diocese of Wilmington’s Marriage Preparatory Policy and Guidelines require that contact with the parish priest or deacon be initiated one year before the date of the proposed marriage, and includes the following steps:
- Meetings with priest/deacon to start formal preparation, determine readiness to marry, explore religious dimension of married life.
- Educational Program (Pre-Cana Classes, Engaged Enrichment Day Conference, or Remarriage Program) to provide sacramental formation, skill building, and for gaining insights from experienced married couples.
- Some parishes require Sponsor/Mentoring Couples. This is 1:1 or small group meetings with the engaged couple(s) and a married couple at the parish level. The purpose is to concentrate on specific areas of married life as well as an opportunity to share with other engaged couples and a married couple.
The requirement of adequate marriage preparation applies to all couples.