The first Saturday of each month for a year beginning in March 2018 has had special meaning for historic churches in the Diocese of Wilmington.
Each of nine churches has opened for special celebration tours, presentations and Mass as the diocese marks its sesquicentennial. On July 7, Bishop Malooly celebrated Mass at Sacred Heart Oratory in Wilmington.
As part of the Diocese of Wilmington’s 150th anniversary celebration, nine churches in Delaware and Maryland’s Eastern Shore have been designated as Official Sesquicentennial Pilgrimage Churches.
These historic churches will be open for additional touring and worship on most first Saturdays of the month during the 150th anniversary year, which ends in March 2019. Check with historic churches to verify Mass times and dates at each location.
The churches are:
• St. Francis Xavier Shrine, “Old Bohemia,” Warwick, Md. (1704)
• St. Joseph Mission, Cordova, Md. (1765)
• St. Peter the Apostle, Queenstown, Md. (1765)
• St. Mary Star of the Sea, Golden Hill, Md. (1767)
• Cathedral of St. Peter, Wilmington, Del. (1816)
• St. Patrick, Pilottown, Md. (1819)
• St. Joseph on the Brandywine, Greenville, Del. (1841)
• St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception, Wilmington, Del. (1858)
• Sacred Heart Oratory, Wilmington, Del. (1874)
Go to www.cdow.org/new/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Passport.pdf to download and print your Historic Churches Pilgrimage Passport.